>

Status:

Hello, my name is Christine Ericson. This blog is so I might add my voice to the thousands of Christians who wish to speak out on their beliefs. I want to encourage those out there who, "have not bowed their knee to Baal," and to remind everyone that God's ultimate Will will be done.

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Wondrous Strange

I thought I'd try my hand at writing a book review, so here it goes!

Wondrous Strange by Leslie Livingston was a book I decided to try reaading when I was at my local library. Leslie Livingston is "a professor" in faeriology and Shakespeare and her book shows it. Her novel is about a 17-year-old girl, Kelley, living in Manhattan who is trying to make it in a theater play of "A Midsummer Night's Dream". The play ends up coming to life when she meets a young changeling by the name of Sonny. He shows her that characters of the play (Oberon, Titania and Puck) are actually REAL. Wrapped up in a giant faerie conspiracy to reawaken a faerie death hunt against humans, Kelley and Sonny must use what they know of faeries to their advantage...

The book itself is VERY well written with 50/50 perspectives from both Sonny and Kelley (making this a both girls and guys book.) There's a touch of romance, with the sum total of about 2 kisses, and lots of semi-graphic battle scenes (blood is spilled, but I wouldn't label it "gory"). The BIGGEST problem I have with the book is its language issues. The book uses the "B-word" and "S-word" at least once and "D---it" is used well over a dozen times.

From a secular point of view it's a very good book -- however! -- because there is so much perverse language, I would NOT suggest reading it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Princess
of the
Lily White Rose
- Wordpress Themes is proudly powered by WordPress and themed by Mukkamu Templates Novo Blogger