>

Status:

Hello, my name is Christine Ericson. This blog is so I might add my voice to the thousands of Christians who wish to speak out on their beliefs. I want to encourage those out there who, "have not bowed their knee to Baal," and to remind everyone that God's ultimate Will will be done.

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Carve it upon the Tablet of your Heart

What is the big deal about memorizing scripture? I mean it's not like I'm asking you to remember pi to the 32 digit. But memorizing Bible verses is extremely important.

Once, a youth pastor of mine came up to our class and asked, "How many songs do you know all the lyrics to? It can be any song from the 'ABCs' to 'Saturday Night'?" Everyone thought about it and figured that we all new several hundred songs. So I challenge you, my readers to start memorizing verses, but not so you can just quote things to make yourself sound smart! No, I want you memorize applicable verses that have meaning for you.

We will not always be in situation where we can whip out a Bible and start reading. Even if you do have a Bible handy, you still need to know where to look. I am more of the type of person that says, "The words are more important than which chapter and verse they are." If you know what the verse says that's far better than knowing "Isaiah 5:18" and not knowing the words.

The more you study, read, and memorize your Bible the more second nature it will become to you. You will wonder less about what God is telling you to do and you will be able to help others more. I challenge you, my readers, to try memorizing a verse or passage that is special or important to you. I don't care if it takes you three months to learn it by heart, but trying is the first part.

3 comments:

Reversed Edge said...

Amen to that. And in my oppinion (I'm going to take it one step further) we shouldn't need to paraphrase scripture because we don't know the exact words. Like you said, we as Christians should know the words as well as we know song lyrics. And the only way to do that is through repetition; the same way we listen to music often, we should read our Bibles even MORE often.

Christine Ericson said...

THANK-YOU! It sickens me how many hours a day people veg-out in front of the computer or TV and how they will even blow of READING their Bibles to do it -- let alone memorize it!

Reversed Edge said...

Well, you aren't alone in that feeling. I don't know of any of my other friends that feel that way...hmmm...maybe we should start our own group--Christians with a passion (we're for real)-- ;)

Post a Comment

 
Princess
of the
Lily White Rose
- Wordpress Themes is proudly powered by WordPress and themed by Mukkamu Templates Novo Blogger