>

Status:

Hello, my name is Christine Ericson. This blog is so I might add my voice to the thousands of Christians who wish to speak out on their beliefs. I want to encourage those out there who, "have not bowed their knee to Baal," and to remind everyone that God's ultimate Will will be done.

Thursday, July 1, 2010

My Testimony, My Saga, My Legacy... Pt. 6

Chapter 6: In which more than one heart is torn...

I remember my 17th birthday. I had just gotten my first job as a hostess at a restaurant, and I had decided to take two of my friends shopping. My little sister was coming and we decided to take Sedric's little sister as her companion. When we arrived at the house, I went up and rang the doorbell. Sedric answered and in his hand was a tiny white box.

A gift? For my birthday?

My hands shook as I opened the precious package and revealed the treasure inside. In the box, was the mother of all fantasy necklaces, the silver-white Evenstar. I stood aghast; frozen in shock. How could someone love me so much? I lept onto him, wrapping my arms around his neck and just wanted to stay like that forever...

That necklace became a rallying point to me. A point to put Sedric above God. Thoughts of Sedric consumed me, and this was my idol of him. I wore the necklace constantly and nearly went through cardiac arrest when I didn't.

My father finally took me aside and explained that I was sinning. I was worshiping a man instead of God. The necklace over the Lord. It took me several days, but I finally agreed. I had to be putting God first. I now had something in my possession that I had turned into something evil. Only one thought came to mind. Return it. Dad went to the trouble of setting up the time and date. I remember the seven days prior to the return date I cried almost non-stop. Would Sedric hate me forever? I knew that returning the necklace would be akin to throwing burning oil on him, and the last thing that I ever -- EVER -- wanted to do was hurt him. But I had tainted the gift. I couldn't have it in my possession any longer.

The day came. We sat down at a table. I had the necklace safely tucked into the white box he had presented it to me in.

"Sedric, I'm sorry, but it's too soon for us," neither of us were close to being out of high-school yet, "but, I cannot keep what isn't mine. A gift like this belongs to your wife. Not me." (I probably didn't say it quite like that, I was so beat up inside I could hardly stand it.) He accepted the box without so much as a complaint and that was the last time I saw it.

As soon as I got home I cried again. Out of plain selfish longing. I had gotten so used to that idol I felt like something was missing when it was gone. This caused me to turn to God. He was all I could run to, and the only one who could comfort me. I read his word, studied his principals and prayed my little torn heart out. God was the only thing that was holding me together.

To Be Continued...
Parts: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Princess
of the
Lily White Rose
- Wordpress Themes is proudly powered by WordPress and themed by Mukkamu Templates Novo Blogger