>

Status:

Hello, my name is Christine Ericson. This blog is so I might add my voice to the thousands of Christians who wish to speak out on their beliefs. I want to encourage those out there who, "have not bowed their knee to Baal," and to remind everyone that God's ultimate Will will be done.

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

The "Real" Christmas

     Well, Christmas is right around the corner, and far be it for me to be the only one who hasn't done a Christmas Post. The biggest issue for me this time of year is using this period to rest in the Lord. It's too easy to get stressed about making sure everyone is happy, earning money to buy Christmas gift and making sure I've bought everyone's gifts. I love giving gifts -- even more than getting them! -- and it is very easy for me to freakout under the pressure of wanting to get something for everyone... especially if I can't afford to get everyone something.

     This is the sad part about Christmas; forgetting that it's not about buying people gifts because you want to show you care, it's not about having family get-togethers with good food, it's not even about helping those in need around you...

     Christmas is about Christ. I know that sounds cliché, but it's easy to say, "Christmas is not about 'stuff,'" but there are a lot of good things that happen around Christmas that STILL are not what Christmas is about.

     Someone asked me the other day if I was looking forward to Christmas. This year, I can honestly say I am NOT. Not in the normal sense of "looking forward to Christmas" anyway. In my house, Christmas has always been about family. Family is something very special for me -- almost sacred --  because I don't have any. I have a mother, a father and a sister -- which is more than some people have, sadly -- but I do not have grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins or anything else like that anywhere near me. I've never understood what it's like for families to "go to Grandma's house for lunch" or to have a sleepover with my cousin. The only family I have lives almost a thousand miles away.



     So what makes this Christmas different from all the others? Every year, since I was born, my Grandparents -- the ones that live a thousand miles away -- have visited my family and me for Christmas. They and Christmas go together for me. This year, they have finally become too -- I think "frail" would be the best term -- to make the trip. I will be alone this Christmas.



     This realization, as sad as it is for me -- I cry whenever I think about it -- has cause me to think about what Christmas is about. I'd always heard it was about "spending time with family," "being kind to those in need," "having good time and hot food with friends," but now that those things have been taken away from me, I have been trying to think about what to do with my Christmas.

     Then I remembered. Christmas is about Christ and NOTHING else. Christmas is about remembering and celebrating the time when Jesus was born. Even more so, to remember that Jesus was born so that He could die -- paying the penalty of sin for the entire world! When I am reminded of this, how can I be sad that I am alone this Christmas? This was the first step in Christ's conquering death!

     If you're like me and find yourself alone this Christmas -- or even if you're not alone! -- remember what Christmas is REALLY about. Jesus Christ. Take time to read about His birth (I dare you to read it in ALL the Gospels, each one's a little different!) and, if you have time, read His Passion also. Sing some -- what I like to call "Real" -- Christmas carols -- the Christmas Hymns. With the time left over, pray. Pray for your family -- even if you don't know who they are. Pray for the persecuted Church all over the world. Pray for the military families that will be separated during Christmas. God will bless you for remembering and honoring Him.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Princess
of the
Lily White Rose
- Wordpress Themes is proudly powered by WordPress and themed by Mukkamu Templates Novo Blogger