>

Status:

Hello, my name is Christine Ericson. This blog is so I might add my voice to the thousands of Christians who wish to speak out on their beliefs. I want to encourage those out there who, "have not bowed their knee to Baal," and to remind everyone that God's ultimate Will will be done.

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Passion And Purity

This had to be one of the most amazing books I have ever read. Elizabeth Elliot takes you through the journey of her relationship with who wold eventually become her husband, Jim Elliot. In today's society -- even with all the great Christian literature out there -- there are still some areas in relationship that are not really talked about.

No matter where or how you are raised in America, it is impossible to grow up without the influence of "the need to date" being ingrained into your mind. As much as we work to learn to not need to date, there is still something inside that whispers, "You need to date. Everyone else is dating. You can keep your purity of heart and still date. You have friends that are strong Christians and they date. How about dating, but just don't call it 'dating' -- call it 'hanging out.' Look at John and Marry; they met and got married their first year in college and they're doing just fine. What about Billy and Sue? They met in high school and got married after graduation. If you're not dating, you could be missing out on what God has planned for you." While many of these "whisperings" are not necessarily "bad" or "wrong" the real issue comes in the heart. Elizabeth Elliot does a magnificent job of dealing with each and every one of these questions.

Although this book is slightly more focused on the issues that women face when dealing with relationships, Elizabeth Elliot makes it clear that she wanted guys to read this book as well. She includes many large sections quoted directly from letters of Jim Eliot describing his struggles and desires. This incredibly raw and real book discusses the situations that come when questioning God's purposes. How does His call on my life connect with my desires? What should I do when I know I want something (a relationship), but I feel like I'm not doing what I'm supposed to in order to get it? Are there times when God will give me a desire, but then tell me I cannot have it? Each of these questions are explained in great and personal detail.

I found this book help me personally more than practically all the other books I have read put together! Passion and Purity takes a rather radical stand on living a life truly devoted to God; there were sections that I had to fervently pray over, deciding whether or not this behavior really was "outdated." Through my own personal devotions, I have found this book to be completely sound, and it is my behavior that needs to change.

This book is wonderful for anyone seeking a truly deep and devoted life to Jesus -- not solely in the world of dating, but in every area of life. Radical by today's standards, Elizabeth Elliot calls the readers to the ultimate example of excellence and purity -- Jesus Christ, for whom there is no excuse in compromise.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Princess
of the
Lily White Rose
- Wordpress Themes is proudly powered by WordPress and themed by Mukkamu Templates Novo Blogger